Framed's 2006 Book Reviews

A list of reviews I've done during 2006. Books are rated from 1 to 5, with 5 being a stellar read. Book reviews with a 5 rating are bolded.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

***I am fifty years old and asking myself why I've never read this book before. It is such a beautiful story, incredibly well-written, humorous, tragic, and a wonderful tale of growing up. The narrator of the story is 6-year-old Scout Finch who tells of life in a sleepy southern town, running around with her brother, Jem, and summer friend, Dill. To read of how these children grow up in the 30's and lose their innocence of human nature and, at the same time, have it reaffirmed was a moving experience. Atticus Finch is another memorable character, full of dignity and integrity. At first, you see him as an older father of young children who is seemingly absent-minded and indifferent. As the story progresses, you realize how much he truly loves his children and wishes to teach them to become principled adults. I imagine that when the book was published in 1960, at the beginning of the Civil Rights movement, it created quite a stir. I'm impressed that Lee won a Pulitzer Prize for it. I especially liked the comparison she made to Hitler's bigotted treatment of the Jews to the way the people of Maycombe treated the town's black population. The message is still just as pertinent to our way of life now.
***At the end of the book, Scout and Atticus are discussing a story he had just read to her,
"An' they chased him 'n' never could catch him 'cause they didn't know what he looked like, an' Atticus, when they finally saw him, why he hadn't done any of those things . . . Atticus, he was real nice . . . ."
His hands were under my chin, pulling up the cover, tucking it around me.
"Most people are, Scout, when you finally see them."
***I really loved this book. I fully understand why it is considered an American classic. I've not loved every Pulitzer Prize book I've read, but this one truly deserved it. Now, I want to see the movie. No, I haven't seen it either. And Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch, splendid casting!!!!
Rating: 5
14 Comments:
Framed said...
I know I'm stretching calling this a "K" title, but it is my list.
SuziQoregon said...
I think it qualifies as a K title :-) I re-read this for the first time in years as part of my A to Z list this year. I was amazed all over again how great this book was. I hadn't read it since I was a teenager.I've heard that there's a new audiobook version out that's read by Sissy Spacek - I'd love to hear her read this.
Les said...
I read this for the first time a few years ago (in my 40s) and loved it, too! What a gem of a book. The movie's quite good, too. Enjoy!
Lisa said...
I have tried to read this book at least 1,000 times (ok maybe a SLIGHT exaggeration) but have never gotten into it. I don't know why. I have a brain block for it or something! Anyway, it's inspiring to hear two of you reading it for the first time in mid-life -- so maybe I'll still get to it. I should just put it on my TBR list, and then the pressure's on!! :)
booklogged said...
O drat it all - I just posted a comment and blogger lost it! So aggravating when that happens.Anyway, a lovely review, Framed. I haven't read this since I was teenager. Now I want to read it again. Gregory Peck plays the perfect Atticus.
Nessie said...
The movie is great. In class I played the 'victim' it was soooo amazingly fun. I actually got casted in the school play for doing that...I got the 50th anniversary edition for Christmas one year and it made the most amazing present. I was so happy to receive it even though I owned a trade edition. Its one of those books you wanna have a hardcover for because its just that good.
Framed said...
SusieQ - I love Sissy Spacek. Les - I'm glad I'm not the only one who missed out on this book in high school. I probably appreciated it more now than I would have then.Lisa - I thought it started out a little slow and the change in my interest level was so gradual that I can even pinpoint when I really got into it.Book - Are you being profane on my blog? I think much worse when my comments get swallowed up in blog world. Thanks for the compliment.Nessie - I watch movies so little but I really want to see this one. I love Gregory Peck.
Tristi Pinkston said...
A friend of mine recently told me that Harper Lee and Truman Capote were friends growing up, and that "To Kill a Mockingbird" is the story of Harper growing up and that Dill is Truman Capote. Sort of interesting!
Nessie said...
Wow! I am gonna check up on that. Will post if I find any information on it. It would unbelievable no?
Bellezza said...
To Kill A Mockingbird was required reading, and still is, at our High School. I think that may be a bit young, because it is such an outstanding book. It has too many important concepts that teenagers might miss. I agree with you, on what an awesome book it is. Oh, and by the way, Chicago made it their book of the year to read a few summers ago.
Cassie said...
Truman Capote and Harper Lee were friends and I've heard the same thing that a character is patterned after him and that he did the same thing with her in one of his books. I thought it was Boo Radley though.
Cassie said...
oh and Framed I'm glad you realized about your title. That was the first thing I thought to comment about but your right, it is your list.
Joy said...
You are not alone. I picked this up only a few years ago. It definitely was a winner with me as well! :)
ML said...
I loved this book! After I read the last sentence, I wanted to start reading it all over again.Also, you're not the only "late" reader of this book. I only just read it last year.

2 Comments:

At 6:31 AM, Blogger JennifersShark said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger JennifersShark said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home