Framed's 2006 Book Reviews

A list of reviews I've done during 2006. Books are rated from 1 to 5, with 5 being a stellar read. Book reviews with a 5 rating are bolded.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

BABY PROOF by Emily Giffin November 8, 2006

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Granted I had just finished "The Goose Girl" which I loved, and I thought this would be another of those modern, high-powered, woman stories that I haven't really enjoyed in the past, so I'm glad that I liked it anyway.
Claudia does not want children, has never wanted children, and at the age of 32, has about decided she will never find a man who agrees with this life-style choice. I love this one quote:
"A long conversation about baby naming ensued, a topic I find to be ridiculous and tiresome unless you have a nine-month deadline in the works. Discussing baby names when you're not even pregnant is almost as ridiculous as laying claimg to a name." I had to laugh because I did this, still think of names for grandbabies who are not yet in the works and I know several others who are also guilty.
Continuing on, she meets Ben. Of course, they fall in love and get married. Two years later, Ben reneges on their agreement and pressures Claudia to reproduce. Now I can't truly understand not wanting kids since that's the best thing I've ever done, but I found myself getting impatient with all the people in this book who pressured Claudia to have kids. After all, she is a modern, high-powered, very intelligent woman. Get off her case, for crying out loud.
Another funny quote about Raymond Jr. who is about 4-months old: "Raymond Jr. clutches Ben's thumb, and I wonder how I'm supposed to compete with a stunt like that. The kid is good." The marriage ends and the rest of the book tells how Claudia copes along with the support of her two sisters (what would we do without sisters?) and her best friend. I liked the humor in the book and found it to be a very enjoyable read. The lesson I learned is that you know you truly love someone when you will do absolutely anything to make them happy. The question is, do Claudia and Ben figure that out? You'll have to read to find out.
Rating: 4
4 Comments:
Alyson said...
I must say I've never fallen into the trap of naming my not-yet conceived children. I think I'm the only girl out there that doesn't have at least one boy and one girl name picked out. I always thought I was weird, but at least now I know there's a fictional character who didn't do that either.
michelle said...
Nice review. I'm not sure that I would have picked this one up on the shallow basis of title and cover (I'm not the only one judging books by their cover, right?) but it seems like I might have missed out. Thanks for the review and congrats on crossing one off the list!MichelleOverdue Books
Orange Blossom Goddess (aka Heather) said...
I really like your review! This one sounds hilarious. I'm in the opposite boat...can't find a man who wants children!
Sheri said...
I discovered Emily Giffin earlier this year when someone suggested her first book Something Borrowed to me. She loved the book and made it sound like a fun and enagaging read, she had thatlook in her eye that I get when I've read something REALLY good that I really want soemone else to read, it was very convincing...and who am I to dismiss something just because it's beeen classified as "chick lit?" I gave it a try and LOVED it, then I ran to the store and grabbed the sequel Something Blue which was just as enjoyable. If you liked Baby Proof, you should really give Something Borrowed, and Something Blue a try.I want to read Baby Proof soon, I'm glad you reviewed this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home