Framed's 2006 Book Reviews

A list of reviews I've done during 2006. Books are rated from 1 to 5, with 5 being a stellar read. Book reviews with a 5 rating are bolded.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

I Heard the Owl Call My Name by Margaret Craven

**My mother recommended this book, and I am so glad I followed her advice. It's just a small book but what a beautiful story of love, acceptance, giving, and dying. Craven really captures the majesty of the Pacific Northwest and her description of a dying culture is both sad and profound. There are really two themes involved in this book, the story of a dying young man and how he finds himself through giving to others, and the plight of Native Americans who fight the world outside in trying to maintain their own culture even though so much of this culture has already been lost. She is very realistic about how cultures change and grow. We see the inevitability of this even though it seems quite tragic. And the story of Mark Brian is so poignant and moving.
Rating: 4.75
5 Comments:
Alyson said...
I also read this book because your mother recommended it. I really enjoyed it as well. Your done with your "I" title, does that mean you're reading A Prayer for Owen Meany next? Is that still your "I" author book? I'm excited for you to read it. I love that book!
10:37 PM
booklogged said...
I read this book because your mother recommended it, too.One of these fine months I absolutely have to get to Prayer for Ownen Meany. I know, I'll put it on my chunkster list.
9:41 PM
Framed said...
Yes, I am reading Owen Meany, but no comment at this time. I don't believe in "spoilers." It definitely qualifies as a chunkster.
6:51 PM
Alyson said...
Chunkster? Does that mean it's a thick book, or is that some new TBR list you guys are making?
11:30 PM
Bookfool said...
I bought this one for my son and I don't recall whether or not he got around to reading it, but it looked really good. Thanks for the review. Now, I know I'll have to take the time to read this one, some day!Alyson: Chunkster means a thick book. I'm hosting a "Chunkster Challenge" from January to June, to motivate those of us who are intimidated by big books to get some of them read. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home