Framed's 2006 Book Reviews

A list of reviews I've done during 2006. Books are rated from 1 to 5, with 5 being a stellar read. Book reviews with a 5 rating are bolded.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

THE HISTORY OF LOVE by Nicole Krauss November 10, 2006

This is a very complex story. I was very confused through the first third of the book. Then I started to see that the threads of different stories were becoming intertwined and I needed to find out how. Leo Gursky is an unforgettable character. He is so well-drawn that I had to check that this book was really written by a woman. She describes an elderly, lonely forgotten man so beautifully. The other main character is Alma Singer, a teenage girl, completely different from Leo, but just as memorable and believable. There are several other interesting characters in the book, but the way Krauss plays them into the story, maintaining a mystery that isn't resolved until the final few pages, is incredible. I was amazed how she pulled all the strings together. The ending is stunning. I thought when I read the book that it would be a love story. I read a review that said it is really about loneliness and the need to feel a void left empty by lost love. I can see that. And the story is really very sad, but sometimes funny, and even joyous. Another reviewer recommended: "It's best not to put the book aside for a few days, but rather read it straight through with only short breaks. Trying to recapture the story is challenging. It's not a light beach read." I think I would have enjoyed the book more if I had been able to do that. So read this book when you want something thought-provoking, quirky and completely different from any other book you've read, and when you have some time to devote to it. I will definitely read it again.
Rating: 4.50
6 Comments:
booklogged said...
I am rereading this right now because I'm leading the book club review this month. I was afraid I wouldn't enjoy it as much as the first time, especially having just finished The Book Thief, but I'm enjoying it immensely. Just finished the first part with Leo. He is such a crack-up. And so well written. I'm glad you liked the book. I always feel a certain intrepidation recommending books.
Joy said...
"...thought-provoking, quirky and completely different..." For some reason this one never landed on my TBR list. It's going on now. Thanks! :)
Lotus Reads said...
I heard a dramatized version of this book on BBC Radio 4 when it first came out and it certainly did sound like a wonderful book and since your review confirms it,I really must put it on my TBR list!
Les said...
"...the story is really very sad, but sometimes funny, and even joyous." This sounds like a description of The Book Thief! I've heard such wonderful comments about this book and even checked it out from the library (but other books won me over and I had to return it unread). It sounds like one I may have to own. Perhaps that will motivate me to get on the ball and read it! Lovely review.
jenclair said...
I've been resisting this one...not sure why. Your review may make me reconsider.
Lisa said...
Oh, thanks for the review! I can't wait to read this one! By the way, would you mind telling me where you get these jpegs that show the book upright and slightly open?? I would like to post them like that on my site, too, but I can never find these kind of images. Thanks!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home