Framed's 2006 Book Reviews

A list of reviews I've done during 2006. Books are rated from 1 to 5, with 5 being a stellar read. Book reviews with a 5 rating are bolded.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving

---There is so much to say about this book. Let me start with the things I didn't like, a couple of these are really petty. First, I borrowed this book from the library. It's a hard back book but the front cover is damaged and very flimsy. You'd be amazed at how annoying that was. (I did say petty, didn't I?) Second, this is the cover of the edition that I read. A picture of John Irving. Keep in mind, this is the third John Irivng book I have read and while he is a very nice-looking man, I know that he has a twisted mind. And his eyes in the picture follow you everywhere. It creeped me out. He's staring at me as I write this. Don't ask me why I didn't just turn the book over. I'm not that smart. Third, there is a lot of political posturing in the book. A great deal of it deals with the Vietnam War which is a huge piece of the story and probably something I need to learn more about. But the greatest diatribe is against the Reagan administration in the late 1980's. The book was published in 1989. It didn't seem very relevant to me now. Besides I'm not very political so that part left me cold.
---So, what did I like about the book. WELL, I could go on and on. It really is a great book. Irving is a master at creating odd and quirky characters, but Owen Meany is arguably the most compelling and memorable character I have ever read about. And the story touches on so many different subjects: faith, death, friendship, love. Throughout the book, Irving tells about so many different occurrences, places and things; and, then at the end, he ties it all together beautifully and so unexpectedly. The end just blew me away. I plan on reading the book again someday because I'm sure I will look for clues that I completely missed this time. But maybe the surprise is better. There were so many great quotes. Here are a few of my favorites:
---"It's a no-win argument--that business of what we're born with and what our environment does to us. And it's a boring argument, because it simplifies the mysteries that attend both our birth and our growth."
---(Owen Meany always talks in all capitols) "THE POINT IS, GOD DOESN'T LOVE US BECAUSE WE'RE SMART OR BECAUSE WE'RE GOOD. WE'RE STUPID AND WE'RE BAD AND GOD LOVES US ANYWAY."
---(Talking about Marilyn Monroe) "THOSE FAMOUS, POWERFUL MEN--DID THEY REALLY LOVE HER? DID THEY TAKE CARE OF HER? IF SHE WAS EVER WITH THE KENNEDYS, THEY COULDN'T HAVE LOVED HER--THEY WERE JUST USING HER, THEY WERE JUST BEING CARELESS AND TREATING THEMSELVES TO A THRILL. THAT'S WHAT POWERFUL MEN DO TO THIS COUNTY--IT'S A BEAUTIFUL, SEXY BREATHLESS COUNTRY, AND POWERFUL MEN USE IT TO TREAT THEMSELVES TO A THRILL!"
---"You've witnessed what you call a miracle and now you believe--you believe everything. But miracles don't cause belief--real miracles don't make faith out of thin air; you have to already have faith in order to believe in real miracles."
---"Although the sun had set, vivid streaks of vermilion-colored light traced the enormous sky, and through one of these streaks of light, I saw Owen's plane descending--as if, wherever Owen Meany went, some kind of light always attended him."
---The book begins with an interesting introduction written by the author. I love reading what authors have to say about their work. It gives me a greater insight into what I'm reading. This introduction also gave me an idea for "Buy a Friend a Book Week" in January. So visit me again then to learn more.
---I'm also adding that the humor in the story is wonderful. The Christmas Pageant was hilarious and the Volkswagon incident had me rolling on the floor.
Rating: 4.75
12 Comments:
Alyson said...
Yeah! I'm glad you liked it. I didn't really enjoy the amount of politics in this book either, but the rest of the story is so wonderful that I look past that. I think this is one of my favorites because Owen is such an endearing character, and because the ending suprised me as well. I've already read this one twice, and I already want to read it again.
booklogged said...
I don't know what I was thinking when I didn't pick this for From the Stacks Challenge. Maybe I can read it for the Chunkster Challenge. It is a chunkster, isn't it?You are moving right along on the alphabetical read. Probably about 1/3 through and you didn't start so long ago.Love reading your reviews.
Les said...
I've read this twice. Once in 2000 and again in 2005. It was on my Top Ten List for 2005 and I posted a review here. There are so many wonderful quotes! I posted one in my review, but I have dozens highlighted in my book.
Framed said...
Alyson, I'm so glad you recommended this book. It's the only reason I read it and I really did love it. I may have to buy my own copy so I can mark it up. Book, you do need to read it. It would qualify as a chunkster. Les, I loved your review. I alos enjoyed the comments.
Lotus Reads said...
Goodness, yes, that is an unusual cover isn't it? It's not often you come across a book with the author's face, even if its a good-looking one, splashed across the cover like that! :)Great review, Framed - I have always wanted to read this book, but after reading what you have to say I am even more inclined to do so.
Bookfool said...
This one's still on my get-to-it-soon list. Actually, it has been for a long time. It's great to read yet another positive review! I just gave my last read a 4.75 and I thought I was being odd when I did so. It's also kind of nice to see someone else give an in-between rating. I don't know what to think of the author's face. It's a nice one, but surely they could have come up with something better.
Nessie said...
when i read this in high school I was flying. the entire class read it and we kept on bringing it up during parties and get togethers. Its one of those books that creeps up on you throughout your life (this is 5 years later anyways...) which makes it a classic for me
Joy said...
I thought I already responded to this one, but evidently I didn't.I want to read it, but need to wait. Now to find out that it's a chunkster...ugh! It may have to wait a little while longer. :(My first chunkster is going to be THE LONESOME DOVE (McMurty), maybe this will be the second. We'll see.
Sara said...
I've owned this one for a while and haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I'm going to bring it to the top of the stack now after reading your review. Luckily I won't have all of your problems with the creepy author photo since mine just has a plain blue cover. Huzzah!
Bellezza said...
I have a hard time appreciating John Irving; I just don't get him!But, my son and I loved the movie "Simon Birch" which was based on this novel. And, of all John Irving's novels, this one is the one I like best. I read A Widow for A Year, and was singularly nonplussed. I think he's just too deep for me. Or, something.Thanks for commenting on my blog, I really enjoy your visits.
Framed said...
Belleza, I definitely like this book better than anything else of his that I've read. I don't plan on reading another unless I get rave recommendations like I did with Owen Meany.
michelle said...
Owen Meany is one of my all-tme favorite books. I try and space out re-readings to keep it fresh but always find myself coming back to it.Owen is just the most unique character I have ever read and every time I revisit this book I find something new to love that I had missed before.Glad you enjoyed it!MichelleOverdue Books

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home