Framed's 2006 Book Reviews

A list of reviews I've done during 2006. Books are rated from 1 to 5, with 5 being a stellar read. Book reviews with a 5 rating are bolded.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

The Railway Children by E. Nesbit August 21, 2006

I bought this book from B&N because the price was really low and the ratings high. The book begins with a short biography of the author which I found very interesting. I wonder if all Puffin Classics have these type of biographies. It made the book even funner to read. This is a great book for children about 10 and older. It's a story of three children in England whose father leaves the family for unknown reasons and they move with their mother to a country home close to a railway. They have great adventures, meet and influence the locals, and finally solve the mystery of their father. The biography states this book has not been out of print since its first publication in 1906. With good reason.
A couple of quotes I enjoyed:
"I suppose I shall have to be married someday," said Peter, "but it will be an awful bother having her round all the time, I'd like to marry a lady who had trances, and only woke up once or twice a year." "Just to say you were the light of her life and then go to sleep again. Yes. That wouldn't be bad." said Bobbie.
"I can't think what made him so horrid. Perhaps it was because he had been so very nice and kind all the earlier part of the day, and now he had to have a change. This is called reaction. One notices it now and then in oneself. Sometimes when one has been extra good for a longer time than usual, one is suddenly attacked by a violent fit of not being good at all."
I see that the book was made into a movie. I'll have to check that out.
Rating: 4
Comments:

Bellezza said...
What you describe reminds me a little of the Narnia series, in that the children are sent away and the setting is England. I find that my students always enjoy books about other children who have adventures such as these. Thanks for sharing!
8:47 AM

Alyson said...
Sounds like an interesting book. I think I'll add it to my TBR list.
2:36 PM

Alyson said...
P.S. I'll be living less than 5min. from a B&N. I'm very excited about this, but not sure yet if it's a good thing or not to be that close. :)
2:37 PM

booklogged said...
What funny quotes. I love them both, but especially that one about being married to someone who is in trance most of the year! I'd like to add the spouse be wealthy as well. This is the 100th year anniversary for "The Railway Children". Did B&N advertise it as such? Can I borrow you copy one of these days?
5:42 PM

Framed said...
Book, no, B&N had it listed on its "Under $3.99" list on the internet. I think I got it for $2.99 with free shippping because I always buy at least $25 worth. You are welcome to borrow my copy. It's a fun read. Aly, I think I like shopping B&N on the internet better. I find better deals. They don't do shipping as efficiently as Amazon though. That doesn't mean that I avoid going into B&N, I just spend more money when I do. Bellezza, I would have loved to have my teacher read this book to the class back in the day. Do teacher still do that?
8:38 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home