Framed's 2006 Book Reviews

A list of reviews I've done during 2006. Books are rated from 1 to 5, with 5 being a stellar read. Book reviews with a 5 rating are bolded.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Pudd'nhead Wilson by Mark Twain September 7, 2006

I thought it might be good to read a book by one of the masters so I chose Mark Twain. Unfortunately, this book is only so-so. I know, I have a lot of nerve crticizing Twain, but it just didn't hold my attention. It's only 122 pages and took me a week to read. The story is a case of switched babies whose identities are realized 23 years later. One is a 100% white man and the other has 1/32 part black, making him a slave. The book is considered a classic 19th-century mystery, but there really is no mystery. A literacy first -- the use of finger-printing to solve a crime. I did enjoy the quotes at the beginning of each chapter so I have included a few:
1."Tell the truth or trump -- but get the trick."
2."Adam and Eve had many advantages, but the principal one was, that they escaped teething."
3."Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
4."One of the most striking differences between a cat and a lie is that a cat has only 9 lives."
5."Behold the fool saith, 'Put not all thine eggs in one basket' --which is but a manner of saying, 'Scatter your money and your attention'; but the wise man saith, 'Put all your money in the one basket and --WATCH THAT BASKET.'"
6."The true Southern watermelon is a boon apart, and not to be mentioned with commoner things. It is chief of this world's luxuries, king by the grace of God over all the fruits of the earth. When one has tasted it, he knows what the angels eat. It was not a Southern watermelon that Eve took; we know it because she repented."
Rating: 2.5
3 Comments:
The Cachinnator said...
I still think I might give it a try. I do love Twain!
Framed said...
Well. he does have a way with words. I did enjoy that about the book.
booklogged said...
Wonderfully funny quotes. "Adam and Eve had many advantages, but the principal one was, that they escaped teething." and potty training!The watermelon quote was great, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home