Framed's 2006 Book Reviews

A list of reviews I've done during 2006. Books are rated from 1 to 5, with 5 being a stellar read. Book reviews with a 5 rating are bolded.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

In Her Shoes byJennifer Weiner September 1, 2006

Halfway through this book, I was ready to quit and give it a "1" rating. Sheer inertia kept me going and it did get better by the end. The story is about two sisters: Maggie is beautiful, dyslexic, out-of work and a tramp while Rose is overweight, dowdy, smart, successful and boring. I didn't much care for either of them. They just kept doing stupid, self-destructive things. That said, I did enjoy the character of Ella, the sisters' grandmother who they know nothing about. So Maggie does something incredibly mean and hurtful to Rose and they go a year without seeing or hearing from each other. During that year, they make insightful changes in their lives, find the grandmother, and reconcile. Does it sound all a little too pat and easy? Exactly. So even though the book's second half is much better than the first, I still don't recommend the book. There are just too many other good books to read.
Rating: 1.5
Comments:

booklogged said...
The cover on this book does nothing for me, although the title sounds intriguing and does fit the picture. Looks to much like Chick Lit for me. I'm always glad when I read a review that doesn't beg to be added to my 'list'. Thanks for making my day!
6:23 PM

booklogged said...
oh, I met to ask - Did you have the day off?
6:23 PM

booklogged said...
I hate it when I hit the return key just as I think of one more question! Is Cassie bringing out V is for Vendetta? Could I borrow it when you're through? Or maybe watch it with you? If that's not happening, is there an interesting movie in town? What are we doing for Labor Day?Okay, that's everything, I think.
6:25 PM

Joy said...
I didn't care for the cover either so I never read it. However, I watched the DVD and wished I didn't. It was definitely a chick lit/flick, no depth whatsoever. Sometimes that can be a good thing, but it wasn't with this one.
6:11 AM

Bellezza said...
I agree with you; I tried it, but I just couldn't finish it. The first one she wrote was better, but only a little, in my opinion.
5:47 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home