Framed's 2006 Book Reviews

A list of reviews I've done during 2006. Books are rated from 1 to 5, with 5 being a stellar read. Book reviews with a 5 rating are bolded.

Sunday, January 07, 2007

My Brother Michael by Mart Stewart Dec 30, 2006

**Mary Stewart is a well-known romantic suspense author. This book is an excellent example of the genre. After reading a few pages, I stopped to check to see when the book was written (1959) because the dialog seemed dated. But for a book that was written 47 years ago, it holds up quite well.
**Camilla Haven is an English tourist visiting Athens who writes to her friend that nothing ever happens to her. Then she accepts the keys to a black car to be driven to Delphi from a stranger, and finds many things happening. Along the way, she meets Simon Lester (what a name for our romantic hero) and become entangled in an old murder mystery and quest for treasure. I like how Stewart builds her characters: you come to know that Camilla is a quiet, retiring beauty, Simon is an intellectual with hidden strength, resourcefulness and talents, etc. These traits are revealed slowly as the story unfolds. And the way she describes Greece!!!! Add it to my list of places to visit. The book was a fun and quick read. Each chapter was headed by a quote from an ancient Greek author. My favorite:"What a personage says or does reveals a certain moral purpose; and a good element of character, if the purpose so revealed is good. Such goodness is possible in every type of personage, even in a woman." Aristotle: The Art of Poetry**This is a book I inherited from my aunt Betty. It's fun to imagine what she thought as she read it. Read this book if you want to escape to an exotic locale and lose yourself in a light romance and a suspenseful tale.Rating: 3.75

4 Comments:
booklogged said...
I actually remembered the storyline of this book, which is very unusual for me. I enjoyed it, too. I even remember the hair along the hairline bristling when I read Aristotle's quote. Too funny!
Joy said...
Framed ~ FYI...Ken Jenning's has posted his "disclaimers" regarding his book on his blog. Thought you'd be interested in that being that you read it. :)
Framed said...
Book, I can see your lips curling at that quote. I thought it was hilarious and right in line with the Greek men in the book's attitude to women. Joy, Thanks, I went and read his disclaimer here: http://www.ken-jennings.com/blog/ Wow, he really had to account for a lot of distortions, didn't he? What's the world coming to? Still, it's an interesting website. He's pretty anal.
TB-) said...
Thanks for this, read this years ago and had quite forgotten about Mary Stewart...Cheers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home