Framed's 2006 Book Reviews

A list of reviews I've done during 2006. Books are rated from 1 to 5, with 5 being a stellar read. Book reviews with a 5 rating are bolded.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

THE GLASS BLOWERS by Daphne DuMaurier October 21, 2006

I picked this book up at the library when I was looking for my "D" author. I really wanted a Kate DiCamilla book, but it was out. When I turned to du Maurier, I really wanted "Rebecca", but it was out, so I settled on this book. I should never settle. While it was an interesting book because of the history it contains on the French Revolution, it was not a very compelling read. This is a story about a family of glass-blowers; three sons and two daughters, narrated by Sophie, the fourth child and the oldest daughter. The narration begins with the two parents and follows them and their family through the French Revolution and about fourteen years after. It reminded me of the dangers of the mob mentality, whipped into a frenzy by unsubstantiated rumors, much like the Salem witch trials, the Mormon expulsion from Missouri, and the whole history of Anti-Semitism. Pretty scary stuff. However, this book is quite bland. I've lost interest in reading "Rebecca". However, I did find one quote that may appeal to all you school teachers.
"Here, in the rue des Bons Enfants, were no molten glass, no rods, no pipes; the glass blowers did not stand before the fire, blow-pipe in hand, breathing life into the slowly expanding vessel. Instead, there were children, their personalities malleable, awaiting development, and my brothers must guide them as surely and as steadily as they had once shaped liquid glass, bringing to fullness and maturity a rounded and balanced human being. "
This quote kind of lets you know how the family business ends up. I did find the perspective of the Revolution from the peasants' point of view interesting enough to want to see the new movie about Marie Antoinette to learn more.
Rating: 2.75
5 Comments:
booklogged said...
That's too bad you couldn't find DiCamillo, because it probably would have been a better read. I loved Desperaeux. I appreciate that I don't need to add The Glass Blowers to my list. Now you're on to an E title? Just checked your list. I hope you enjoy Enchantment.BTW my Lisa Scottoline book finally came in at the library! I know, "Wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles..."
Les said...
Thanks for the review. I just finished a collection of short stories by du Maurier, which I enjoyed quite well. I'll steer clear of this one, though!
Bookfool said...
I've read quite a few du Maurier books - some I loved and a couple of them nearly bored me to tears. I'll give this one a skip. I'd advise you to keep Rebecca on your list, though - it's one of my all-time favorite books and I've found you simply can't judge du Maurier based on some of her other novels.
Framed said...
Booklogged and Les, it was interesting but only so-so. I know you have too many other great books to bother with this one. I love helping someone save some reading time.Bookfool, I will keep Rebecca on the back burner based on your recommendation. I wish I had read it instead.
Tristi Pinkston said...
Rebecca is without a doubt one of the best books I've ever read. Definitely, definitely go back and read it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home