Framed's 2006 Book Reviews

A list of reviews I've done during 2006. Books are rated from 1 to 5, with 5 being a stellar read. Book reviews with a 5 rating are bolded.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

A Love Like Lilly by Kay Lynn Mangum September 9, 2006

I truly loved Mangum's first book "The Secret Journal of Brett Colton." She is one of the really good LDS authors I've read. While not quite as good, "Lilly" is still very worthwhile. It starts out slowly with Jamie, a 15-year-old upset at the death of her grandmother, Lilly, going to visit her grandfather during summer break. She learns that Grandpa is seeing another woman!!! and decides to stick around to thwart the relationship. She ask how her grandpa met Lilly and this leads to stories about the CCC. They decide to tape the stories and over the course of the summer, Jamie learns to accept the new woman and grows closer to Grandpa. I know it sounds like an "aaawwww" kind of story. It is and I liked it. I also liked learning about the C's in Utah. This is a part of our nation's history that I am very unfamiliar with. The book also reminded me of how precious the memories of our ancestors are. I think I will start pestering my 84-year-old mother to tape her memoirs. From the stories she has already shared, I know there is a treasure there. I think I will ask my siblings, children, nieces and nephews to share some of their favorite memories of Mom and Dad. Maybe I can do something for Mom for Christmas. Hope she doesn't read this. For my family, pass the word around and be thinking about it. I will be in touch.
Rating: 4
3 Comments:
booklogged said...
Sounds interesting. Would you classify it as an eerie, atmospheric read? If not, I'll have to pospone it until after my RIP challenge. Is it just me or are the wavy words getting longer and squashed together more? I can hardly read the one that goes with this comment. It'll probably take me several tries.
Framed said...
Definitely not eerie. My wavy words seem to be shorter. What a relief.Do you think I could get something going on a memories book for Mom? I haven't thought of one myself. There are lots of great memories, just what would I put on paper?
Bookfool said...
Oh, cool, I'll have to locate a copy of this one! My grandfather was an engineer who worked for the CCC during the Depression, but I know very little about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home