Framed's 2006 Book Reviews

A list of reviews I've done during 2006. Books are rated from 1 to 5, with 5 being a stellar read. Book reviews with a 5 rating are bolded.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

DEVIL'S CORNER by Lisa Scottoline October 13, 2006

Vicki Allegretti always wondered what it would feel like to look into the barrel of a loaded gun, and now she knew. The gun was a black Glock, nine millimeter, and it was aimed at her right eye. Vicki observed the scene out-of-body, as if it were happening to a girl with a better sense of humor. Wonder if black guns make you look thinner, she thought."
So begins my first experience at reading Lisa Scottoline. I could quit my review right now and you would want to read this book because of that great opening paragraph. Scottoline was recommended to me by Booklogged, who has great taste in books (except Poisonwood Bible). Vicki Allegretti is an Assistant US Attorney who gets caught up in the most convoluted chain of events which almost gets her fired and/or killed. Of course, she solves the crime with a lot of help. I like that she is not always right and sometimes does really stupid things. Isn't it nice when the heroine is human. The action is fast-paced, the main characters grab your attention, and the book is hard to put down.
Rating: 4.
7 Comments:
Joy said...
Hi Framed!I heard this one and enjoyed it, but didn't rate it as high as you. I have come to discover that listening to a book makes a huge difference for me.Also, I liked that she made mistakes, too. Her plans followed a "normal" train of thought, but...oops! :)
Orange Blossom Goddess (aka Heather) said...
I like humour in a mystery so this one sounds like it might fit the bill.
booklogged said...
I'm glad you liked it. When you finish your alphabetical lists you'll have to try Scottoline's series about the lady lawyers. I wish our library would get in her latest book, Dirty Blonde, although it's ratings aren't as good as her others.
Les said...
I've only read one of Scottoline's (hmm, Killer Smile, I think) and thought it was quite good. Even have a couple of favorite quotes from it.
Framed said...
I own one more of Scottoline's books but I'm putting off reding any more until "The List" gets smaller. Book, I just purchased four of Diane Gabaldon's books at Bittercreek Books. Kathy let me know I was missing two. Did she think I was going to read them all that night? Hopefully she will get those two in before I read these four sometime in the next ten years.
Bookfool said...
I was a fan of Scottoline when she was still a new author (discovered her when she was on her second book) . . . and then I went through my mystery-avoidance phase, so I've fallen behind. This is the second enthusiastic review I've read of Devil's Corner, this week - will have to shove this one to the top of the piles and get back into reading Scottoline. She does have a fantastic sense of humor (and she's a nice person, also). Thanks!
Framed said...
I have one more book by Scottoline in my library, "Courting Trouble." I hope it's as fun to read as this one was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home