Framed's 2006 Book Reviews

A list of reviews I've done during 2006. Books are rated from 1 to 5, with 5 being a stellar read. Book reviews with a 5 rating are bolded.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier September 14, 2006

This is the second book of Chevalier's that I've read. What a talented author. Her characters are so well-drawn and the sense of time and place are fantastic. I've learned more about 17th century Holland from this book and "The Lady and the Unicorn" than I even dreamed of. The book is a fictionalized story of how Johannes Vermeer came to paint "Girl with a Pearl Earring." I haven't seen the movie, but may have to now. Scarlett Johansen bears a striking resemblance to the painting. Griet, the narrator of the story and the subject of the painting, is fifteen when she goes to live with the Vermeers as their maid. You come to know her along with the members of the family including the talented but remote master painter, as the story explains how she comes to sit for Vermeer and how that action changes her life and why. I didn't enjoy the book quite as much as "the Lady and the Unicorn", but I still liked it immensely.
Rating: 4.5
10 Comments:
SuziQoregon said...
Hi - I never saw the movie, but I absolutely loved this book. I found a couple of websites where I could see the paintings from the book. It was definitely worth the google search.
booklogged said...
Maybe I didn't give this book a fair shake or maybe the timing wasn't right, but I couldn't get into it. I have 'The Lady and the Unicorn' on my TBR list. After reading it I may give 'Pearl Earring' another try.
Framed said...
Book, I liked Unicorn better. I can't imagine you reading Pearl again when you have so many other books to read. After my trip to SL,I've added five more to my list. The problem is: the bookstores never seem to have the books already on my list or they are too expensive or not out in paperback yet. But I did find two.
Les said...
I enjoyed this book, too. Much more so than Susan Vreeland's Girl in Hyacinth Blue. I have The Virgin Blue (by Chevalier) in my stacks, but haven't read it yet. Another one (I actually think was her best) is Falling Angels. Marvelous, imho!!
Joy said...
Framed ~ I listened to this one and thought that it was just okay, which was a 3/5. Glad you really enjoyed it though! :)
Joy said...
I don't know how often you visit my blog, so I wanted to let you know that I just left you a message there regarding the A ~ Z reading plan. :)
Framed said...
Les, I've heard about "Fallen Angels.: I'm adding it to the list, then I'll save any others of Chevalier's until I whittle the list down some. Joy, sorry you didn't like "Pearl" as much as I did. I wonder if I would like it as well if I had listened to it instead. I'm heading over to read your comment directly.
SuziQoregon said...
Having just recently finished two A to Z lists (Title and Author) I would definitely encourage you to give it a shot. I had a good time and would look forward to seeing your version of the lists.
Bellezza said...
This was one of the books I took on my honeymoon (in 2001); it will always be very special to me. I loved his imagery, and the way he caught the tension between the artist and the girl. This was my favorite of all Chevalier's works.
Bibliolatrist said...
I also love Tracy Chevalier, although I'm not sure if I could pick a favorite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home